In this article, we will explain how to test voice on Discord and Fix it in case if it’s not working or not properly configured.
It’s really annoying when your mic suddenly stops accepting your voice and your Discord friends still thinking that you are hearing them.
I am a Gamer as well, and last week this happened with one of my Game friends who skipped our game plan as we were unaware that he is not listening to us. So you don’t miss it and learn now how to test the mic in Discord.
You might be doing a Discord mic test either no one is able to hear you or have trouble listening because of a static or high ping.
Follow the below points reading how to Test Voice on Discord
- Restart your Discord
- Restart your PC
- Ensure your headset or its Mic is working properly (you can try another headphone to diagnose whether the problem is with Discord or Headphone)
How to Test Voice on Discord
It’s very easy to know how to test Mic on Discord, follow the below steps
- Open your Discord Dashboard
- Click on the gear icon of settings to open Discord settings
- From the left-hand panel look for Voice & Video settings and click on it
- Now in the middle, you will see MIC TEST with a blue tab below of Lets Check
- Click on Let’s Check and start speaking, your voice will be played right back after you with the yellow fluctuating bar. Make sure you can see your input device in the input device box before testing.
- If you can hear your voice with the Mic test but slow, then please check the input and output volume slider above the mic test.
- If it fails to detect your voice, no need to worry proceed below to understand how to fix your mic in discord
Discord has two kinds of an Input mode for audio which are “Voice Activity” and “Push to talk”.
By default, Voice activity is checked which automatically detects voice when there is any kind of sound nearby to the mic.
If you decide to activate Push to talk just to make sure your mic is working check on Push to talk and from the below Shortcut box.
Click on Start recording and then on the key which you want to assign as a shortcut key for Push to talk.
How to Test Voice on Discord Computer (Windows)
You can also test your Mic from the Windows Computer as well, just to make sure your microphone is working and selected as the default
- Type Sound in the search box and hit Enter to open sound settings.
- Scroll down and look for “Test your microphone”.
- Speak anything now, if the blue bar increases it means your mic is working and if not you can click on troubleshoot as well
Hope this helped you to learn how to test voice on Discord
Improve Discord Sound Quality
Discord has more advanced features for Audio through which you can improve discord sound quality and can also learn many advanced features.
Noise Suppression: – Enabling Noise Suppression will help to reduce all kinds of background noise which we hear during discord server chats and voice AFK channel. This also improves discord voice quality
Echo Cancellation: – This will reduce the echo of your voice in the chat and also reduce the echo at the place you are. By default this feature is already on, you just need to make sure it’s ON.
Noise Reduction: – This helps to reduce background and broadband noise. Discord Noise reduction also helps in removing mic background noise, power-line hum, and wave noise.
This feature can only be enabled when Noise Suppression is OFF, so you can try switching between both of them and see which one works best for you.
Automatic Gain Control: – AGC is a circuit designed to maintain a constant output stage after amplification and helps in improving discord voice quality.
QUALITY OF SERVICE____________________________
Enable quality of service high packet priority: – Turn ON this feature as this request router to keep Discord packet transmission on the high priority. In case turning this on creates any problem with your connection, turn it OFF, please
This is another important feature to improve voice quality on discord. By attenuation, you can lower down the volume of other applications when you or anyone speaks. Set the attenuation slider to 0% to get the best performance.
Turn ON both the options
- When I speak
- When others speak
If it fails to detect your voice you probably need to go through with the following steps
1. Restart Discord and run as an Administrator
Sometimes data are not processed or transmitted which may cause trouble with your voice and can be fixed by running the Discord app as an Administrator.
Right-click on the app and select run as an administrator
2. Change Input Sensitivity
Turn on automatically determine input sensitivity, if already on
Turn off automatically determine input sensitivity
3. Try selecting Push to Talk
Enabling this option can quickly enable your microphone where you need to press an assigned key to speak.
Trying this option may fix the mic on Discord
4. Turn off Windows exclusive mode for this device
In Windows exclusive mode Windows take control of all audio drivers to adjust automatically which may cause trouble with the mic.
Follow the steps to uncheck the box of Windows exclusive
- Type sound in the search box and hit Enter
- Scroll down to Related settings and click the Sound control panel
- A new box will come up where you need to click on the Recording tab and then right-click on your microphone, select properties
- Now click on advanced and from the Exclusive Mode, uncheck the box of Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device
- Restart the computer
5. Reset Discord voice settings
Possibly while trying to fix this issue or doing some changes with settings we might make some mistakes. Resetting Discord voice settings may fix Discord mic issues.
Scroll down to settings > Voice & Video > Scroll down to bottom > Click on Reset Voice Settings
Frequently asked questions
Why is my mic not working on my headset?
Please make sure your mic is not mute and remove your headset from the device and reinsert it again
How can I make my mic sound better in Discord?
Speak coming more close to your mic which will reduce the background noise and room reverb. Please reduce the input volume as well while doing this.
Go to Discord settings > Audio & Video > look for Input volume slider
Discord is an amazing VoIP app for gamers and for business purposes which allows voice chat with the people in a server.
Through Discord, you can play games and talk at the same time, so in case if your Mic is not working properly you already read and hopefully understood how to test voice on Discord.
While we need to focus on our game and other activities for which we are using Discord, you may face such an issue where I would recommend you to start from scratch.
Starting from scratch doesn’t take much time. Please let me know your experience with Discord and feedback for this article.
Best Wishes for the Future !!
I am Shahbaz, and by profession, I am a full-time Blogger and a YouTuber. I have done a master’s in M.B.A and I love playing online games like PUBG and Valorant. I have a small family with my mom, dad, and a younger brother. My blogs and videos are on technology as I have experience and knowledge.