In this article, you will learn how to make a Discord channel private for Text and Voice. Discord channel can be made private before and after it has been created.
There are 2 channels types of Text and Voice in Discord and users can use it according to their requirement and use.
Before proceeding to the tutorial on how to make a discord channel private let’s look to a few questions which will clear a few other concepts as well.
Can I make a channel private in Discord?
YES, you can make a channel private in Discord
Can I modify the changes after making the discord channel private?
YES, you can hover to Discord channel Permission to modify the changes.
How to Make a Discord Channel Private while Creating
If you are creating a new text or voice channel in Discord and want to make it private, then follow the steps below.
- Open your Discord dashboard
- Locate to the servers on the left-hand panel for which you want to create a Discord private channel
- Now look for the drop-down arrow beside to server name on the left-hand top
- Clicking on drop-down will give multiple options, look and click on “Create Channel”
- From the next screen, choose the channel type between Text and Voice
- So choose Voice and below you will find an option of “Private channel” just toggle it on
- Your channel is private now; below you will get an option of “WHO CAN ACCESS THIS CHANNEL”. Under which you can find users to grant permission to access this channel.
How to make an Existing Channel Private
In the beginning, we use to play with the Discord server sending funny messages and learning how to post GIFs on Discord.
But there comes a time when our baby grows up, and now our Discord server has grown as well.
So sometimes it becomes necessary for us to make a few of Discord text or Voice channels private.
It can be a little complicated to make the Discord server private, but if you follow and understand the instruction carefully it would be very easy.
You must have admin rights or enough permission to perform this action
- Open Discord Dashboard (app or web whatever you are using)
- Select and open the server from the left-hand panel in which you have your Discord voice channel.
- You will see the list of channels now, hover down to the channel which you want to make private, and click on the settings icon.
- A new box will come up, click on the Permission tab.
- Make sure below Roles/Member it’s selected to @everyone.
- Now scroll down to Voice Permissions, and click on the Red Cross X of View channel and Connect, and then on Save Changes. Doing this will make your channel private for outsiders and no one would be able to view or connect to this channel.
- If you want few members to grant full or custom permission, come again to Roles/members and click on the + sign.
- This will open the list of users, choose a user to whom you want to grant permission.
- Click on the green checkmark in front of every permission and click on Save Changes.
For Text Voice Channel
- After disabling all the permission
- Grant at least below permission, so that users can chat and share with each other
- Read messages
- Send messages
You need to do this for every member to grant permission.
I tried my best to cover every query related to how to make a discord channel private but still, if you are not getting it, I would strongly request you to read the article again.
If you still have trouble, please let me know in the comment box and the people who are facing any Discord bug or issues, please let me know I will be back with a solution very quickly.
Thank you for reading the article, BEST WISHES for the future.