Are you tired of the lags you experience with the Discord App and want to know how to fix Discord lag during the call, chat game, or streaming? In this article, we will cover many topics and 10 ways to fix Discord lag.
Discord is a free VoIP app that offers services like chat, call, screen share, and streaming.
No one would like any kind of lag or interruption while chatting, streaming, or playing games with Discord.
How to FIX Discord Lag
Here we have 11 FIX for users having issues like Discord lags while streaming or discord cutting out in-game. Perform these fixes one by one and follow the instructions carefully.
FIX #1:- End all unnecessary programs
Running unnecessary programs can be the main cause of lagging in Discord.
If multiple programs are running on your device, probably chances are one of the running programs may conflict with Discord.
Access use of your CPU, RAM, and Disk can also be a cause of lag in Discord and even for other programs. Follow the steps to end unnecessary programs
- Right-click on the taskbar and choose Task manager or press Shift + Ctrl + Esc key to bring task manager.
- In the task manager, under the processes tab, you will see Apps and Background processes. You need to find all programs running under this category that are not required.
- Right-click on the program not in use and click on End task, you can look for other programs in the background process like Skype and browsers files running, close them as well.
- Restart your Discord and use it again to see Discord lag is fixed or not, if not proceed to FIX 2
FIX #2:- Change Discord Server Region
This can be the quickest and the best way to fix discord lag and high ping. If your Discord server region is not set to the closest server region you will have a high ping.
Go to Discord server settings > Click on the Server region and choose the one which is nearest to your location.
FIX #3:- Disable Antivirus and Firewall
A long time back an Antivirus program used to slow down the computer by 50% but no longer now.
However, there will be some impact on the speed and performance of the computer because of the Antivirus and Firewall.
Antivirus may block few features as well which may result in discord voice lag when playing games or streaming. Follow the steps
- Open your Antivirus dashboard and look for temporary Disable or Real-time protection to turn off.
- Open task manager again and look for your antivirus program and end it both from Apps and Background processes.
- Restart your computer and check again if it works, you need to contact your Antivirus provider and explain how disabling antivirus stopped lag on your discord.
FIX #4:- Clear Discord Cache Files
A cache is a place that stores data temporarily to save time by not downloading the same files again.
But once Cache memory gets full it will slow down your device and you may face Discord lag.
Follow the steps to clear Discord Cache files from your device
- Close Discord
- Press Windows + R key to open the RUN box
- Type %APPDATA%/Discord/Cache in the RUN box and click OK to bring the cache folder.
- You will now see all Discord Cache files, Press Windows + A to select all the files and then the Shift + Delete key to delete the files.
- Clear your Browser history and Cache/ Cookies as well if you also use Discord in the browser.
- Restart your device and open Discord again to check if the problem is resolved.
ALSO READ:- How to Appear Offline or Invisible in Discord
FIX #5:- Update Discord
Discord pumps out regular updates to fix all bugs and glitches. So updating Discord may be a good answer for how to fix discord lag or why discord cutting out in-game.
To update Discord please follow the instruction below
- Exit Discord
- Right-click on Discord and click run as an administrator.
- Click yes if ask for permission.
- Press Windows + R key to open the RUN box and type %appdata% and click OK.
- Look for the Discord folder and open it.
- Scroll down to find update.exe files, if it’s there it means discord updates are available.
- Run the file and restart your computer. Skip if you don’t find any.
FIX #6:- Update Device Drivers
An outdated driver may also cause lag while playing games, streaming, or screen share. People who recently asked a question like
Discord voice lag when playing games? Discord cutting out in-game Why is my Discord call lagging?
When your device drivers like audio and graphics are not updated or corrupted there may be a lag with discord game and call. Follow the steps to update the driver
- Press Windows + R key to open the RUN box and type “devmgmt.msc“ which is a command for device management and click OK.
- Audio Driver:- Look for Audio inputs and outputs and make a double click on it.
- Find your audio driver, right-click on it, and click update driver.
- Graphic Driver:- Scroll down and look for display drivers and make a double click on it
- Find your graphic driver, right-click on it and click update driver
- Restart your computer once finished with the driver update.
FIX #7:- Enabling/Disabling Hardware Acceleration
Running any apps uses a standard CPU on the computer which depends on the task you are using.
If you have good hardware and using heavy tasks on the device you can enable hardware acceleration to improve the performance.
In case your hardware is weak and you have enabled hardware acceleration it may not function properly or smoothly.
Enabling or disabling hardware acceleration may fix frame drop in your games. Please follow the steps
- Open the discord dashboard and click on the Settings gear icon at the left-hand bottom.
- Look for Appearance from the left-hand panel and click on it
- Now in the appearance scroll down to find Hardware Acceleration.
- Turn it OFF if it’s ON or vice versa.
- Restart Discord and check if this fixed your issue.
ALSO READ:- How to Inspect element in Discord
FIX #8:- Manage Start-up Programs and Device Optimization
Most of the apps and programs automatically get saved on the start-up which means whenever we start our computer they will boot along with the system software.
This will even slow down the computer and possibly any start-up program can conflict with Discord and result in issues like Discord cutting out in-game and discord lag while streaming.
Device optimization can also fix your device lag. While browsing on Internet much harmful adware, malware, or unwanted junk get saved on our device.
These unwanted junk can harm many apps installed on the computer.
Remove programs from start-up
- Right-click on the taskbar and select task manager or simply press Ctrl + Shift + Esc to bring task manager up.
- Click on the Start-up tab to see all the programs
- Now, right-click and disable all the programs which you installed and don’t want to boot at system start-up.
- Avoid Wireless, audio, antivirus, and Windows file.
- Press Windows + R key to open the RUN box.
- Type TEMP and click on ok, a new folder will come up. Press Ctrl + A to select all the files and then press shift +delete to delete all these unwanted files.
- Type %TEMP% and click ok, press Ctrl + A key to select all the files, and then press Shift + Delete to delete all the files.
- Type prefetch and click ok, press Ctrl + A key to select all and then Shift + delete key to delete all files
- Run Malware byte and Hitman pro to scan and clean the computer. You can uninstall once done.
- Restart your computer and open Discord to see if the issue resolved.
You have learned much till now about how to fix discord lag, there are still a few Fixes you can try.
FIX #9:- Reset Discord Voice Settings
Regular or improper changes in Discord voice settings can also be a cause of Discord lag which can be fixed by resetting discord voice settings.
Follow the steps to reset discord voice settings
- Open the Discord dashboard and click on Settings that are on the left-hand bottom.
- Click Voice & Video and scroll down to the bottom to find Reset voice settings in the red color.
- Click Reset voice settings which will come with another small box for permission click on OK.
- Restart your Discord
ALSO READ:- How to make a Poll in Discord
FIX #10:- Reinstall Discord
If Discord lag has not been resolved yet by the above 8 fixes probably your discord files are corrupted or any problem with settings.
Make sure you have a note of your Discord ID and Password before reinstalling Discord.
- Press Windows + R key to open the RUN box.
- Type appwiz.cpl on the run box and click OK.
- Program and Features window will now come up displaying all the installed programs
- Look for Discord, right-click on it and select uninstall.
- Restart the computer
- Visit Discord to download again
FIX #11:- Get SSD Drive
Probably problems can also be with your old hard drive and not only Discord entire PC is working slowly.
SSD (Solid-state drive) is a new generation storage drive that works differently. SSD used a memory chip called NAND flash memory with no moving parts and near-instant access times.
Replacing your drive with SSD will boost your entire computer speed and apps. I tried this for my PC and I see an extreme difference now.
This is the reason I shared this FIX with you all.
Please have a look at the below frequently asked questions which will share a few more steps that can match your question and fix your issue.
Frequently asked question
How to fix discord screen share lag?
The above 10 fixes will surely fix your entire discord lag. Still for screen share you can also try turning on or off Enable Quality of Service High Packet Priority. Follow the steps
- Open Discord Settings and click on Voice & Video.
- Scroll down and look for Enable Quality of Service High Packet Priority
- If it’s ON you can turn it OFF or vice versa.
- Restart you Discord
How to fix discord lag when playing rainbow six sieges?
It’s really annoying when discord lag when playing rainbow six Siege or any other game. Use the above tricks and then the below 2 fixes as well.
- Open Task Manager and click on details
- From the details, tab find discord.exe, right-click on it and choose set priority
- Set priority to high from low, do the same for rainbow six siege if shows under task manager.
- Now go to My Documents > My Games > double click on rainbow six siege folder > Uplay ID Folder > Game Settings > Scroll down and look for [DISPLAY] > FPS limit > change to 75 > Save the file
- Right-click on the Game settings and click on properties
- In the attributes check Read-only and clicks
Discord lagging but the internet is fine?
Discord may also lag if there is an issue with Internet connectivity. Even if you have a fast internet data plan but make sure of a few things
- You are close to your router
- Make sure multiple devices are not connected, if yes disconnect other device and try again
- Turn off downloads and update on your and other devices.
How can I improve my discord performance?
If you have read the above article carefully kindly start implementing step by step. This will surely improve your discord performance
Why is my Discord call lagging?
If you have tried the above steps and still there is a lag in Discord call. Try the following steps
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc to bring task manager up
- Now click on the Details tab and scroll down to look for discord.exe files
- Right-click on all the discord files and click Set Priority
- In the set priority select high for every discord file.
- Save the settings and check again
You read all the possible ways to know how to fix Discord lag, make sure you do not miss any step, and read the blog very carefully.
Many steps are also shared in the frequently asked questions which can also fix discord call lag. Please try all the ways and let me know which method works for you.
I am Shahbaz, and by profession, I am a full-time Blogger and a YouTuber. I have done a master’s in M.B.A and I love playing online games like PUBG and Valorant. I have a small family with my mom, dad, and a younger brother. My blogs and videos are on technology as I have experience and knowledge.